Blog post 2


Blog Post 2: Observation at the Union



For my second blog post, I decided to observe a student at the Union while he was eating his dinner. I was sat slightly diagonally to him in his peripheral vision as to not arouse attention or suspicion. But still sat so I could see his facial expressions and a clear view of what he was doing. Here are the notes I recorded while observing him. He began by sitting down at his table, and he spends a few minutes looking around and taking in his surroundings before starting to eat. He looks uncomfortable that he’s alone, suggesting maybe he usually eats with other people and this is an off occasion, outside of his usual routine. After scoping out the union he begins to eat gingerly. After about 3 mouthfuls he immediately pulls out his smartphone and begins to scroll. He often looks up expectantly at passers-by, suggesting he may be waiting for someone. He doesn’t seem very hungry, as he takes a long time in between mouthfuls. Eventually, he becomes more comfortable in his surroundings and starts to people watch, however, he quickly darts his eyes back down to his phone after making eye contact with anyone. He appears to be uncomfortable in this setting. He seems full, hasn’t touched his food for some time now. Yet he hasn’t gotten up and continues to scroll through his phone.
He has checked his watch 3 times in the past 2 minutes as he goes back to his smartphone. Suggesting he has a class or some appointment to make. He stands up with his back and does one final scope of the room before exiting with his trash. From my observation, I believe that he was hoping to meet someone, no more than two people judging by the size of the table he chose. But that person didn’t show up, it was more of a social meeting rather than something to satisfy his hunger because he barely touched his food.

I really enjoy people watching and being interested in what makes them do the things they do. Although people are different, many people react the same way when placed in uncomfortable situations.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog post 3

Blog post 1