Blog post 1
Blog Post: book reading
For my first blog post, I will be discussing a book I recently read that is geared towards my career prospects. Guy Kawasaki’s "The Art of Social Media", was an interesting read for me and I'm glad that I took the time to finish it. For someone who wants to go into Social media advertising this book was a good “How to” guide for social media platforms. But that’s all it really was, which is where this book fell short in my opinion. Since the book is entitled “power tips for power users” I thought that it would offer some more insight and specific instructions on how to build a strong brand. However, the book focused more on quirky things to post on your page that may or may not work, simply because they seemed to work for the author. The author also promoted his own websites and products far too often and it felt as though I was reading an advertisement in the book. For example, they gave a website that allows for good curation and 3 of the 4 of them were his own companies' websites. In addition, the chapter on "Getting More Followers" isn’t even a page long and it only has two suggestions: which are share more interesting things and try and get on a platform before anybody else does. I would prefer it if the book highlighted more practical ways to boost follow count or clever ways to see if a social media platform is about to blow up. The book contains some interesting links to apps and online services, which was helpful because i bought the kindle version, but that was the main benefit of the book. A lot of the book was obvious advice, or social media platform info that I already knew and most people would know if they had ever been on the app. I will say that I did learn a few things on how to cater to my target audience and also how to analyze what that target audience is. The author writes about how target audiences don’t just want to read about the same one or two things, get creative, which is good advice. Overall the book lacked a good approach or structure. I would have preferred if they explained how to harness the power of each platform, elements of a social media strategy or how to move from design to implementation per platform.
Comments
Post a Comment